Saturday, January 20, 2018

difference

they say there's seven sins, but i lost count:
sins soak into my skin and spill out through my mouth,
drip into my saliva, and trickle down my throat,
filling every last inch of me up until i choke.
like tar in the air, blistering my lungs,
clogging up my arteries til i can't run, or even walk anymore,
just sit down and stare, and shake my head at all we've done.

see, we've been here before; we never really left.
humans and war, forever best friends,
destined to stick right together til the end,
walking the earth, hand in hand.
so hold my hand tight, sink down to your knees,
and bury your head in the sand with me.
they say there's seven sins, but i lost count.

see, you and me are different; that'll never change.
the problem's your religion - our god ain't the same.
the problem's in your pigment - our skin doesn't match.
the problem's in your short skirt, that begged me to snatch
at whatever i could get even though you said no.
the problem with equality is: everybody knows that
you and me are different, and i'm gonna show you
that my way is better, that you are below me,
my people are stronger, we're the ones who belong here,
my words are the bombs here, so watch as they fall down..

they say there's seven sins, but i lost count.
as i walk the streets, sins lying all around,
like fallen leaves, cushioning my feet,
softly beckoning me to sleep:
"come, lay your head down, now, close your eyes.
forget what you saw, go back to your life.
coffee, bar, romance, clothes: sleep tight.
yeah, you and your friends are gonna be alright."

but we've been here before; we never really left.
always building walls up to protect us,
walls around only the ones we select,
walls that keep our hearts bereft
of empathy for the ones we're not,
for the ones who weren't born with our lot.
and we tell ourselves that they didn't earn it,
that it's their fault, and we turn.

cos you and me are different; don't tell me we're not.
there's no room here for immigrants - we're full right up.
we're too busy consuming, consume, don't stop
to think about who made it all, and what they got paid,
and how much oil and coal were burnt on the way,
and the countries that they're from, and the part we played
in centuries past, to make it this way.
they say there's seven sins...

yeah you and me are different; don't tell me we're not.
the problem's who you're sleeping with - see, sex has got to be
a man with a women, and while we're on the point,
you're the sex that you're born with; you've got no choice.
your body should conform, and so should your voice,
your size, your shape, your ability.
the problem with you is, you're different from me.

they say there's seven sins, but all i wanna count
is the small things i can do something about,
and the people that i love, who are different from me,
and the people they love, who i ain't never seen.
and i'll keep my eyes open to the shit storm around,
but somehow i can't let it hold me down.
their difference is a chance for me to learn.
their difference is a chance for you to learn.

No comments: